Sunday, July 13, 2008

My least favorite cephalopod

Since we've been sitting at the sushi bar rather than at a table lately at our local Japanese place, Oyako Tso's, they've gotten to know us and they usually hook us up with some sort of tasty amuse, that no one else seems to get (even people who sit at the sushi bar). Sometimes it's really good, but more often than not, it's octopus.

I always try it, because I feel that it'd be a horrible insult if I didn't even try it. However, I just can't seem to get myself around eating octopus. The flavor is a bit off-putting to me, but its definitely a texture thing. One of the reasons why I like sushi so much is because of the silkiness of the fish - octopus is way too chewy for my tastes. Also, I hate the fact that sometimes I find myself eating one of the suckers, and I don't particularly care for it.

That said, when I finally make it to Japan, I'm hoping that the octopus tastes better over there.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Because you won't eat it, I think you've missed the fact that the last three amuses we've been given have been the same exact dish. Octopus with cucumber in a soy/vinegar dressing. I want something new dammit!