Sunday, July 20, 2008

Things I Like to Cook & Eat: Rib-Eye Steak

I like steak. It's tasty, it's delicious, and it's really easy to cook (and just as easy to screw up, but that's a different story). In my humble opinion, the tastiest part of the cow is the rib-eye steak. Check out where the rib-eye is on the cow - far enough away from the shoulder and the rump to be tender and fatty and delicious.

For whatever reason, it seems like most of the uninitiated really love filet mignon, for whatever reason. I suppose its the whole "so tender you can cut it with a fork" idea. Now, I bear no animus to filet mignon - I definitely enjoy it from time to time, but here's my issue: taste. Ever have a filet on its own? It's got little to no flavor. Look at the menu the next time you go out to a restaurant: it's always served with some sort of sauce or wrapped in bacon or what not. Not the delicious ribeye - all you need is salt and pepper and a hot grill.

How to cook it? Easy. Season with salt and pepper. Heat the grill to high, cook on one side for 6-8 minutes, then flip over and cook 4-6 minutes more. That'll cook to a nice medium-rare. If you like it cooked to medium, then extend the cooking time for 2 minutes longer on each side.

Want it well-done? Go fuck yourself.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex you have hit on a couple of my hot spots with this post. I always thought of the ribeye as the toughest piece of meat you can get. I started to think when I started to get this idea and it stems from my childhood. My mother used to buy (or sometimes slaughter) our own beef in 1/4 to 1/2 a side of beef at a time. A lot of that ended up as "rib steak". Mom would (and does) cook steak until it is the consistancy of a hockey puck. This stems from her phobia of undercooked meat. I will take your opinion under advisement. I may have been holding an unwaranted prejudice against the rib-eye.
Eric