Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow days mean one thing...


Not much is better than getting a call at 4:55 AM, looking at my phone, seeing its my buddy Joe, picking up the phone, and saying "What up?" to hear the reply "Duuuuuuuuuuude". I love snow days.

So Steph and I are sitting around, enjoying the fact that we can be mellow in the morning, when she says "Why don't you find a good pancake recipe?" which was surprising, coming from Stephanie. You see, she is a Bisquick Aunt Jemima devotee (as I was just informed), and pancakes is one of the few dishes she is willing to prepare for herself. Whereas I was raised in a house where pancakes were prepared at a thickness that allowed for a nice stack, Steph has always liked ONE BIG PANCAKE. I'll admit, the first time she made me a pancake, I was a bit uncomfortable with a giant, battleship-sized pancake on my plate.

It does need to be mentioned now that watching Steph prepare to eat a pancake is both shocking and hysterical all at the same time. Perfect parallel lines, 1" spaced, rotate 90 degrees, more perfectly parallel lines, 1" spaces. This has got to be how engineers eat their pancakes.

So, I hopped onto eGullet forums, which is a happy home for people who want to talk about EVERYTHING when it comes to food. I found a topic where people were talking about pancakes (92 posts all about pancakes!) and found a recipe that looked both easy and delicious.


Pancakes
taken from paulraphael on egullet

1 1/2 c AP flour
1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 whole egg
1 egg, separated
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 1/8 c milk

Mix together your dry ingredients. Set aside.

Whisk together the egg and egg yolk until frothy, then whisk in the melted butter and the milk. Whisk up your egg whites until soft peaks form.


Gently mix together the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in the egg whites.
Take a ladle full of batter, put it into a heated nonstick pan, and cook until bubbles form in the center and the edges look solid. When you flip, use a spatula and don't try to be fancy, otherwise you'll end up with results like this:


Fortunately, I wised up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Notice the steam coming off the stack of pancakes? That's good photography right there.

Laura White said...

those do look yummy and easy to make. but most impressive is that photography! good job steph! *wink*

Anonymous said...

Snow days rock! Obviously we had pancakes too...of the chocolate chip variety, courtsey of my wife!