Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hot Dog "Calzone"

I totally lifted this idea from Not Exactly Bento, which you should definitely check out for great ideas on bento recipes and lunch construction. Her pictures are WAY better than mine will ever be, too. I'm also jealous of some of her bento boxes and feel a big splurge coming on in the future.

Here's what I used:
4 hot dogs, parboiled and cut in half crosswise
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
1/2 red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
cheddar cheese, sliced thin
1 package of Wegmans whole wheat pizza dough

Preheat your oven to 375. Slice the pepper and onion into 1/4" strips. Saute the garlic, onion and peppers w/ a sprinkle of salt and pepper over medium heat until crisp-tender, max 3-4 minutes. Flatten out the dough and cut it into 8 equal pieces. On each piece of dough put a hot dog half, some cheese and some peppers and onions. Roll up the whole megillah, sealing the sides and placing it on a parchment-lined baking sheet, seam-side down. Do this for each hot dog. Brush the top of each roll with some olive oil. Bake until golden brown, 25 minutes or so. Let cool then enjoy.

Next time, I'm going to make it with green peppers and I'm going to parboil up some sweet sausage. Talk about an awesome thing to pack into my lunches, that is filling and tasty and somewhat healthy (as I'm intaking some vegetables, for a change).

...and just so everyone can see what sort of effect my bringing smaller lunches and watching what I'm eating has done...I'm down just about 10 lb since the beginning of September. Not bad at all.

2 comments:

BlueFrogJ said...

Hey, I'm glad you tried them out. Yours sound way tasty. Plus, I prefer your name for them. :) Thanks for stopping by Not Exactly Bento.

I have your blog in my google reader now. I want to try the sesame grilled chicken recipe I found here.

Unknown said...

He's down 10 pounds, I'm down 2 pounds. So not fair.