Thursday, September 11, 2008

A week's worth of bentos

As I'm packing up a new batch of soboro (made with 90% lean beef this time) and finishing up some pulled BBQ chicken, I'm feeling reflective of how the 1st week of bento lunches went.

Time: Except for being lazy with not making the pepperoni/cheese skewers the night before, packing up both Steph's and my lunch usually takes a maximum of 10 minutes. Talk about great when I'm trying to get out the door in the morning.

Portions: The only thing I eat during the day that I don't bring along in my bento is an apple. Not bad. I try to space out when I eat everything over a time period of 11:00 to 1:00, during free moments during my day. Smaller bites more often is good, and one of my coworkers has made it a point to make sure to really talk during lunch so we eat slower. Good stuff.

Taste: I am never wanting or craving anything, as I try to balance the sweet/salty combination of foods. I like eating raisins and almonds, especially, and I've been noshing on dried blueberries from Wegmans, even though they look like rabbit poop.

I've also been cooking so I get more leftovers, which makes me kick myself that I never did this in the past. All in all, a successful first week on the lunch front.

0 comments: