Saturday, September 20, 2008

Quick & healthy breakfasts

I love all manners of breakfast meat. Bacon, sausage, Canadian bacon, ham...all delicious fruits of the magical animal that are wonderful in the morning. However, as much as I would love to partake of this tastiness every morning, there are two things holding me back: the time it takes to prepare and the ridiculous amounts of fat that go along with eating them. I'm always on the search for a breakfast that I can prepare very quickly, that has good flavor and substance, and is tasty...demanding, aren't I?

Thanks to the influence of my wife, I've become a big fan of the Vanilla Almond Crunch Special K, but since I'm not a daily milk drinker, the milk isn't always great to my system. I like to eat eggs, but eating too many isn't exactly the best for the cholesterol. Bringing this topic up at lunch one day, one of the women I work with suggested I try what she does - she makes flax seed muffins on the weekends, halves and toasts them with a little bit of butter in the morning (she does this for herself and for her 2 kids).

Reading about flax seeds, it turns out they're super-high in omega-3 and antioxidants and are nice and high in dietary fiber. All in all, a tasty addition to my attempting-to-improve diet. So here's what I've adapted from what I've read:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups ground flax seed
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped almonds
3/4 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients. Beat together the milk and egg. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix. Fold in almonds and blueberries. Pour into non-stick-sprayed muffin tin and bake 25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes in tin, then remove and cool completely.

They came out pretty good for the first time through. I may add a little more sugar or maybe sprinkle sugar on top to make a nice crumbly topping. Can't wait to see how they taste tomorrow morning.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

They DEFINITELY need more sugar. As healthy as they may be, they tasted like cardboard. Not your fault though; that's the recipe.